The Racecourse Inn was?originally intended to serve as?the Longford Railway Station, when the line was to run through Longford and?Cressy and then northwards. Construction of a railway was first considered after the establishment of “responsible government” in 1856, with the first track planned to run between Longford and Deloraine.
The line was re-routed and the building?instead became the Racecourse Hotel, named for the Longford Racecourse, the oldest continually raced track in Australia.
In 1867 the?gruesome murder of Ellen Griffiths?took place after she left the then Railway Hotel with Daniel Connors, who was convicted of her murder, but maintained his innocence right to the end. ?Ellen’s body was found on the Longford Racetrack, and Connors was later apprehended in a paddock at Brickendon, where he had been sleeping.
The building has in its time also been a nursing home for elderly men and a pub, one of twenty in Longford!
This beautiful building is now the Racecourse Inn, a heritage listed Bed and Breakfast, at the start of Tasmania’s Heritage Highway.