Heritage Georgian era B&B Accommodation
The Racecourse Inn offers fine, heritage accommodation together with warm country hospitality at historic Longford, in Tasmania’s northern midlands.
Set in lovely, heritage, cottage gardens, this beautifully restored Georgian coaching inn was originally named the “Railway Hotel”, and subsequently the “Racecourse Hotel” after the Longford racecourse, Australia’s oldest continuously raced track.
With roses trailing over its convict-made brickwork, the picture-perfect two-storey Georgian B&B (circa 1838) is steeped in the history of Longford, one of the earliest villages settled in Tasmania. For those interested in history, the building itself contains some rare and unusual architectural features and period antiques.
The Racecourse Inn is the perfect base for touring Northern Tasmania; only 10 minutes from Launceston airport, 20 minutes from the centre of Launceston and one hour from the Spirit of Tasmania terminal in Devonport. Our five en-suite guest rooms have been individually furnished with period antiques with the comfort of the traveller in mind. Upstairs are three delightful attic rooms with dormer windows and sloping timber-lined ceilings, and downstairs two generous bedrooms, including a spacious heritage suite with a king-sized bed and double spa.
Your accommodation includes a full cooked and continental breakfast featuring tasty locally sourced Tasmanian ingredients, many of them home-grown and hand picked daily from our kitchen garden and orchard. We are also able to provide evening meals by prior arrangement with 24 hours notice, and are licensed.
The Racecourse Inn is only minutes away from Longford’s main tourist attractions, including two World Heritage listed properties, Brickendon Estate and Woolmers Estate (home to the National Rose Garden), and marks the start of Tasmania’s Heritage Highway. We’re also only a short drive from the Tamar Valley and Northern Tasmanian wine route, and minutes away from some of the best fly fishing lakes and streams in Australia, including Brumbys Creek, The Macquarie and South Esk Rivers.
(03) 6391 2352 or (0409) 886 350